News & Insights
- Brewing Industry Insight – Can Anyone Own BLUEBERRY MUFFIN as a Trademark for Beer?Robert J. English
You might think that BLUEBERRY MUFFIN is a generic term anyone can use for blueberry muffins, but what about for blueberry muffin flavored beer?
- Restaurant Industry Insight -- Is a Descriptive Restaurant Name Desirable?Deborah K. Squiers
Restaurants like to adopt names that tell customers about the nature of the restaurant in some interesting way. But it can be difficult to register a descriptive name as a service mark.
- Cannabis Industry Insight – CBD Derived from Hemp Is Legal in the U.S.Kieran G. Doyle
CBD brands are now entitled to U.S. trademark protection.
- Trade Dress Infringement Claim and Related Discovery Triggered Insurer’s Duty to DefendJeffrey Chery, Ronald W. Meister
We succesfully represented our client, Major League Baseball Partners, Inc.
- WORLD SERIES is held to be a very famous mark that cannot be registered in the unauthorized trademark HIGH SCHOOL WORLD SERIES.
We successfully opposed a registration on likelihood of confusion grounds.
- THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING’S IMAGE IS HELD TO BE A FAMOUS MARK THAT CANNOT BE REGISTERED AS PART OF AN UNAUTHORIZED TRADEMARK FOR BEER
We prevented registration of a mark on likelihood of dilution grounds.
The Second Circuit affirms summary judgment for our client.
We enforce our client’s copyrights.
We established that cigarette rolling paper size designations are generic.
What They Say
- 2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
"Richard Dannay is the preeminent copyright lawyer. In addition to his encyclopedic knowledge of the Copyright Act and case law, he is an excellent litigator."2018 Best Lawyers in America
Many of the lawyers here earn vociferous praise from the market: chair Jonathan King and litigator Eric Shimanoff, for example, are “first-rate attorneys who demonstrate mastery of their subject”. Recently, these “zealous advocates” litigated against Crocs on behalf of Car-Freshener.2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Meichelle MacGregor is "a first-rate litigator and counsellor who recently won a Client Choice award for trademark practice in New York."2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Richard Mandel is "a crack litigator who successfully represented the opposers in a recent major trademark dispute between cigarette paper companies"2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Founded in 1957, we maintain long-term relationships by providing sound advice, quality legal work, and highly-responsive, personalized service.
What We Do
We represent clients of all sizes across a broad range of industries. The boutique size of our firm, and the breadth of our practice capabilities, allow us to provide a multidisciplinary approach in a cost-effective manner.
Our experience spans a broad range of industries and is international in scope. We appreciate the opportunity of growing with successful companies and brands, as well as creative individuals and accomplished executives.