News & Insights
- VALENTINE'S DAY GREETINGS
- CLL will host another complimentary CLE program called "Key Legal Ethics Concepts Illustrated Through Song."
We will present a new version of a complimentary CLE program, Key Legal Ethics Concepts Illustrated Through Song, at The Bitter End in Greenwich Village on Wednesday, March 13, 2019.
- Beverage Law Insight - A Wine Trademark Registration Failed Where a Certificate of Label Approval Was Not Obtained
It may seem obvious that a brand owner can claim rights in a trademark only when it has used the mark in a “lawful” manner. However, the issue does not arise often, and it can be perilous for owners of valuable brands not used in exact compliance with federal regulations.
- Trade Dress Infringement Claim and Related Discovery Triggered Insurer’s Duty to Defend
We succesfully represented our client, Major League Baseball Partners, Inc.
We established that cigarette rolling paper size designations are generic.
The Second Circuit affirms summary judgment for our client.
We enforce our client’s copyrights.
- WORLD SERIES is held to be a very famous mark that cannot be registered in the unauthorized trademark HIGH SCHOOL WORLD SERIES.
We successfully opposed a registration on likelihood of confusion grounds.
- THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING’S IMAGE IS HELD TO BE A FAMOUS MARK THAT CANNOT BE REGISTERED AS PART OF AN UNAUTHORIZED TRADEMARK FOR BEER
We prevented registration of a mark on likelihood of dilution grounds.
What They Say
Richard Mandel is "a crack litigator who successfully represented the opposers in a recent major trademark dispute between cigarette paper companies"2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
- 2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Deft all-round strategist and resolver of difficult disputes Joel Schmidt is “very hands on, responsive, pragmatic and cost effective” and unanimously considered a “delight to deal with”2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Many of the lawyers here earn vociferous praise from the market: chair Jonathan King and litigator Eric Shimanoff, for example, are “first-rate attorneys who demonstrate mastery of their subject”. Recently, these “zealous advocates” litigated against Crocs on behalf of Car-Freshener.2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Meichelle MacGregor is "a first-rate litigator and counsellor who recently won a Client Choice award for trademark practice in New York."2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Founded in 1957, we maintain long-term relationships by providing sound advice, quality legal work, and highly-responsive, personalized service.
What We Do
We represent clients of all sizes across a broad range of industries. The boutique size of our firm, and the breadth of our practice capabilities, allow us to provide a multidisciplinary approach in a cost-effective manner.
Our experience spans a broad range of industries and is international in scope. We appreciate the opportunity of growing with successful companies and brands, as well as creative individuals and accomplished executives.