Diversity and Inclusion
At Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman, we strongly believe that diversity and inclusion at all levels of our firm greatly increases the value and abilities of our lawyers and staff and the services we offer to clients. Our on-going commitment to diversity extends beyond our office walls as we are dedicated to improving diversity within all facets of the legal profession, and importantly, further into our communities. Our firm strives for diversity in race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and veteran status.
Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Our diversity initiatives are coordinated and developed by our Diversity and Inclusion Committee comprising partners and associates and focuses on all employees across the firm. The Committee’s overall goals include:
- Maintaining a supportive and inclusive work environment
- Diversifying the pool of attorneys and attorney applicants
- Diversifying the fields of law and intellectual property through programming and outreach
Upcoming Programming & Activities
- A Trademark is Not a Copyright or a Patent - Intellectual Property 101 – A 3-hour intensive course for diverse law students focusing on various areas of Intellectual Property. Certificate of completion to be distributed to attendees. (Date: Fall 2023)
- Coordinating CLEs and presentations for our firm on various diversity and inclusion topics
- Coordinating and implementing diversity mentorships, internships and scholarships
- Coordinating and implementing outreach programs to high school, college and law school diversity populations on careers in the law and intellectual property, in particular
- Hosting networking events and intellectual property-related workshops targeting underrepresented populations
Past Programming & Activities
- Careers in Intellectual Property Law: Promoting Diversity and Inclusion – In June 2021, partnered with Metropolitan Black Bar Association to host discussion led by accomplished practitioners about diversity, equity and inclusion issues and various career paths and opportunities in the world of Intellectual Property.
- In March 2023, held inaugural lunch celebrating International Women’s Day for the firm’s Women’s Committee focused on increasing diversity efforts for women in the law.
- Sponsored “The Scales of Justice” held by Equal Justice Works, a virtual nonprofit fundraising event celebrating the community of lawyers who exemplify the values of compassion, dedication, and commitment to achieving our nation’s promise of equal justice for all.
We welcome any questions, ideas or suggestions. Please email email@example.com