News & Insights
- CLL mourns the passing of Baila Celedonia
- We hosted another Fashion Law Institute pop-up clinicRobert J. Giordanella, Justin I. Karasick, Meichelle R. MacGregor, Joelle A. Milov, Peter R. Porcino, Ariana J. Sarfarazi, Joel Karni Schmidt, George C. Sciarrino, Anastasia Zhadina
- Trade Dress Infringement Claim and Related Discovery Triggered Insurer’s Duty to DefendJeffrey Chery, Ronald W. Meister
- THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING’S IMAGE IS HELD TO BE A FAMOUS MARK THAT CANNOT BE REGISTERED AS PART OF AN UNAUTHORIZED TRADEMARK FOR BEER
We prevented registration of a mark on likelihood of dilution grounds.
The Second Circuit affirms summary judgment for our client.
We established that cigarette rolling paper size designations are generic.
We succesfully represented our client, Major League Baseball Partners, Inc.
- WORLD SERIES is held to be a very famous mark that cannot be registered in the unauthorized trademark HIGH SCHOOL WORLD SERIES.
We successfully opposed a registration on likelihood of confusion grounds.
We enforce our client’s copyrights.
What They Say
“One of the best trademark outfits in the United States”, Cowan Liebowitz & Latman is “an exceptional IP boutique that serves many leading brands”. “It is a huge player on the prosecution side, as it houses a raft of skilled professionals, which grants it a reservoir of expertise that few can match.” The group also boasts an enviable record in litigation and has been central in a myriad of important cases. “ The consistency of its lawyers and its longevity speak volumes to its quality.”2018 WTR 1000, The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
“They are cost-efficient and have a very good network of associates around the world. They are proactive and come up with good solutions and suggestions to critical issues. And, also quite important, they are very nice and friendly people."2020 Best Law Firms
- 2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
“Cowan is by far the best firm we’ve worked with and Jonathan Z. King is the principal reason. . . .In [one] case . . . the company threw a ton of money and resources against us, with a large trial team . . . but Jonny simply ripped them apart with his courtroom abilities and his sharp analysis of trademark law supporting our case. He’s so smart and really understands our business, but is also incredibly unpretentious and down-to-earth.”2018 Law.com
"Richard Dannay is the preeminent copyright lawyer. In addition to his encyclopedic knowledge of the Copyright Act and case law, he is an excellent litigator."2018 Best Lawyers in America
Founded in 1957, we maintain long-term relationships by providing sound advice, quality legal work, and highly-responsive, personalized service.
What We Do
We represent clients of all sizes across a broad range of industries. The boutique size of our firm, and the breadth of our practice capabilities, allow us to provide a multidisciplinary approach in a cost-effective manner.
Our experience spans a broad range of industries and is international in scope. We appreciate the opportunity of growing with successful companies and brands, as well as creative individuals and accomplished executives.