News & Insights
- Trademark Law Alert - A U.S. Attorney is required even for Canadian Attorneys and AgentsWilliam M. Borchard
- Attorneys’ Fees Denied to the U.S. Government in Patent Cases May Also be Denied in Trademark CasesJustin I. Karasick
- A Trademark Got His Goat - But He Had No Legal StandingMary A. Donovan
- Patent & Trademark Law Alert - Relief Available to U.S. Applicants and Owners Affected by COVID-19Mark Montague
On My Mind Blog
We enforce our client’s copyrights.
We succesfully represented our client, Major League Baseball Partners, Inc.
We established that cigarette rolling paper size designations are generic.
The Second Circuit affirms summary judgment for our client.
- THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING’S IMAGE IS HELD TO BE A FAMOUS MARK THAT CANNOT BE REGISTERED AS PART OF AN UNAUTHORIZED TRADEMARK FOR BEER
We prevented registration of a mark on likelihood of dilution grounds.
- WORLD SERIES is held to be a very famous mark that cannot be registered in the unauthorized trademark HIGH SCHOOL WORLD SERIES.
We successfully opposed a registration on likelihood of confusion grounds.
What They Say
Deft all-round strategist and resolver of difficult disputes Joel Schmidt is “very hands on, responsive, pragmatic and cost effective” and unanimously considered a “delight to deal with”2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Meichelle MacGregor is "a first-rate litigator and counsellor who recently won a Client Choice award for trademark practice in New York."2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
- 2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
“Cowan is by far the best firm we’ve worked with and Jonathan Z. King is the principal reason. . . .In [one] case . . . the company threw a ton of money and resources against us, with a large trial team . . . but Jonny simply ripped them apart with his courtroom abilities and his sharp analysis of trademark law supporting our case. He’s so smart and really understands our business, but is also incredibly unpretentious and down-to-earth.”2018 Law.com
"Richard Dannay is the preeminent copyright lawyer. In addition to his encyclopedic knowledge of the Copyright Act and case law, he is an excellent litigator."2018 Best Lawyers in America
Founded in 1957, we maintain long-term relationships by providing sound advice, quality legal work, and highly-responsive, personalized service.
What We Do
We represent clients of all sizes across a broad range of industries. The boutique size of our firm, and the breadth of our practice capabilities, allow us to provide a multidisciplinary approach in a cost-effective manner.
Our experience spans a broad range of industries and is international in scope. We appreciate the opportunity of growing with successful companies and brands, as well as creative individuals and accomplished executives.