News & Insights
- Trademark Law Insight - Online Infringer Can’t Run from Trademark InfringementJoel Karni Schmidt
- Website Law Alert – A Defense That May Succeed Against an ADA Non-Compliance SuitRaphael S. Nemes
A ruling from the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York has opened the door for a website owner to successfully defend a lawsuit claiming that a website does not comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) by arguing that the issue has been resolved and the claim is moot.
- Patent Law Alert -- Placement of an Ornamental Logo May Avoid Design Patent InfringementAnastasia Zhadina
- Unreasonable Delay Leaves Cycling Magazine Spinning Its Wheels on an Untimely LawsuitDasha Chestukhin
On My Mind Blog
We succesfully represented our client, Major League Baseball Partners, Inc.
We established that cigarette rolling paper size designations are generic.
We enforce our client’s copyrights.
The Second Circuit affirms summary judgment for our client.
- WORLD SERIES is held to be a very famous mark that cannot be registered in the unauthorized trademark HIGH SCHOOL WORLD SERIES.
We successfully opposed a registration on likelihood of confusion grounds.
- THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING’S IMAGE IS HELD TO BE A FAMOUS MARK THAT CANNOT BE REGISTERED AS PART OF AN UNAUTHORIZED TRADEMARK FOR BEER
We prevented registration of a mark on likelihood of dilution grounds.
What They Say
"Richard Dannay is the preeminent copyright lawyer. In addition to his encyclopedic knowledge of the Copyright Act and case law, he is an excellent litigator."2018 Best Lawyers in America
"Cowan Liebowitz & Latman has an outstanding trademark team that is knowledgeable, responsive, cost-effective, and gets the job done in an excellent manner on behalf of the client."2020 Best Law Firms
"I work with Joel Schmidt from Cowan Liebowitz & Latman on a regular basis. In fact, he is one of the leading trademark and copyright experts with whom I consult. He is very knowledgeable, has done a good job for our client in negotiations and has provided good advice on how to tackle complicated problems."2020 Best Law Firms
Richard Mandel is "a crack litigator who successfully represented the opposers in a recent major trademark dispute between cigarette paper companies"2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Many of the lawyers here earn vociferous praise from the market: chair Jonathan King and litigator Eric Shimanoff, for example, are “first-rate attorneys who demonstrate mastery of their subject”. Recently, these “zealous advocates” litigated against Crocs on behalf of Car-Freshener.2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Founded in 1957, we maintain long-term relationships by providing sound advice, quality legal work, and highly-responsive, personalized service.
What We Do
We represent clients of all sizes across a broad range of industries. The boutique size of our firm, and the breadth of our practice capabilities, allow us to provide a multidisciplinary approach in a cost-effective manner.
Our experience spans a broad range of industries and is international in scope. We appreciate the opportunity of growing with successful companies and brands, as well as creative individuals and accomplished executives.