News & Insights
- Trade Dress Infringement Claim and Related Discovery Triggered Insurer’s Duty to DefendJeffrey Chery, Ronald W. Meister
- Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman Strengthens its Advertising, Media & Technology Practice with the Addition of Kyle-Beth HilferKyle-Beth Hilfer
We are pleased to welcome Kyle-Beth Hilfer as the newest member of our Advertising, Media & Technology Practice
- Trademark Law Alert – “Immoral” and “Scandalous” Marks Join “Disparaging” Marks as Being Registrable in the U.S.Ariana J. Sarfarazi
The U.S. Supreme Court in Iancu v. Brunetti, No. 18-302, 588 U.S. _____ (April 15, 2019) struck down a provision of the Federal Trademark Law (known as the Lanham Act) that barred the registration of “immoral or scandalous” trademarks, finding that this bar violated the Free Speech Clause of the First
On My Mind Blog
We succesfully represented our client, Major League Baseball Partners, Inc.
We established that cigarette rolling paper size designations are generic.
- THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING’S IMAGE IS HELD TO BE A FAMOUS MARK THAT CANNOT BE REGISTERED AS PART OF AN UNAUTHORIZED TRADEMARK FOR BEER
We prevented registration of a mark on likelihood of dilution grounds.
The Second Circuit affirms summary judgment for our client.
- WORLD SERIES is held to be a very famous mark that cannot be registered in the unauthorized trademark HIGH SCHOOL WORLD SERIES.
We successfully opposed a registration on likelihood of confusion grounds.
We enforce our client’s copyrights.
What They Say
- 2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Deft all-round strategist and resolver of difficult disputes Joel Schmidt is “very hands on, responsive, pragmatic and cost effective” and unanimously considered a “delight to deal with”2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Richard Mandel is "a crack litigator who successfully represented the opposers in a recent major trademark dispute between cigarette paper companies"2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
“Cowan is by far the best firm we’ve worked with and Jonathan Z. King is the principal reason. . . .In [one] case . . . the company threw a ton of money and resources against us, with a large trial team . . . but Jonny simply ripped them apart with his courtroom abilities and his sharp analysis of trademark law supporting our case. He’s so smart and really understands our business, but is also incredibly unpretentious and down-to-earth.”2018 Law.com
"Richard Dannay is the preeminent copyright lawyer. In addition to his encyclopedic knowledge of the Copyright Act and case law, he is an excellent litigator."2018 Best Lawyers in America
Founded in 1957, we maintain long-term relationships by providing sound advice, quality legal work, and highly-responsive, personalized service.
What We Do
We represent clients of all sizes across a broad range of industries. The boutique size of our firm, and the breadth of our practice capabilities, allow us to provide a multidisciplinary approach in a cost-effective manner.
Our experience spans a broad range of industries and is international in scope. We appreciate the opportunity of growing with successful companies and brands, as well as creative individuals and accomplished executives.