Joel is a member of our firm’s Executive Committee and has handled intellectual property counseling, protection, and enforcement matters for over 20 years. He has extensive experience managing worldwide trademark, copyright, and domain name programs, litigations and proceedings, and resolving complex problems and disputes. He practices before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, advises clients on anti-counterfeiting and litigation, and has assisted clients with licenses, strategic alliances, publishing and technology agreements, and the intellectual property aspects of private placements, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, financings, and reorganizations.
Joel has successfully represented a broad range of lifestyle and fashion companies, hotels and restaurants, hi-tech companies, game developers, publishing and media companies, pharmaceutical, health and wellness companies, wine and food companies, non-profit organizations, and prominent artists and designers. Entities he has represented include J. Crew, Madewell, Warby Parker, Hyatt Hotels, Thompson Hotels & Resorts, Sanofi, Novomatic, Central European Media Enterprises, Major League Baseball Properties, Fragomen Worldwide, Charity Navigator, and the Israeli “Red Cross” MDA.
Joel was recognized among the world’s most prominent trademark practitioners in the recent edition of the World Trademark Review (WTR) Global Leaders Guide and has been mentioned in the Legal 500, the WTR 1000, and other publications. He is an active member of the International Trademark Association’s Brands and Innovation Committee and previously served for two terms on its Internet Committee. He speaks, writes, and organizes programs on emerging issues, and recently authored a Brief Guide to NFTs and Intellectual Property.
After graduating from law school, Joel was a law clerk for two years at the Supreme Court of Israel, where he worked on landmark cases involving matters of first impression for Dorit Beinisch, who subsequently became Israel’s first female chief justice.
Joel is committed to pro bono work. He successfully represented a Tibetan woman and her three children in their application for asylum and handles matters on a pro bono basis for several non-profit organizations, including the Me Too Movement, UJA Federation of New York, and BlackStar Film Festival. Joel also organizes fashion law pop-up clinics at our law firm in collaboration with the Fordham Fashion Institute and established our law firm’s CLE4Good Program, which supports charitable organizations.
“When I’m away from the office, I’m either cycling, hiking, running, skiing, scuba diving, or traveling along with my spouse 'the science professor, former IDF officer, and superwoman' and four amazing kids.”
Honors & Recognitions
"The 'brilliant' Joel Karni Schmidt is lauded as a leading trademark lawyer who 'provides strategic advice on how to tackle complicated problems'." 2022 Who’s Who Legal: IP
Joel Karni Schmidt is "really bright, thoughtful, highly responsive, enthusiastic and practical [and] thinks outside the box and always finds creative and cost-effective solutions for our clients...really enjoy working with him…extensive knowledge and experience [and] on top of cutting-edge issues, such as NFTs…I have worked in the trademark field for many years and think that Joel is the best of the best.” 2023 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
“Joel Schmidt – fantastic lawyer!” 2022 The Legal 500.
“Joel Karni Schmidt has been advising and assisting my clients with trademark filing and prosecution for the past 15 years. I worked closely with Joel on multiple matters and he is an excellent attorney. He is very efficient, always recommends the best and most cost-effective approach, is extremely experienced and thus knows how to solve the problems, and just as important – he is very nice and pleasant to work with.” 2022 The Legal 500
“Joel Schmidt is a well-natured, calm and yet astute professional who treats small as well as big issues with the appropriate importance and utmost of professionalism.” 2022 The Legal 500.
"Joel Karni Schmidt understands the nuances of in-house practice and more than keeps up with the speed of business. Like the firm at large, he has a good eye for talent and how to acquire and develop it.” 2022 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
“Joel Karni Schmidt is our main contact. He is a stellar attorney and great case manager” 2021 The Legal 500
“I work closely with Joel Karni Schmidt from Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman on various trademark matters. Joel is a great attorney. He is very professional, always on top of things, provides great and current advice, and always gives you the feeling that you are in trusted hands. Joel is also very responsive and always nice to work with. I use his services knowing that I am in good hands.” 2021 The Legal 500
“Joel [Karni] Schmidt is an outstanding strategist and provides quality advice on all aspects of brand protection and prosecution.” 2021 The Legal 500
“We would like to mention, in particular, Joel Karni Schmidt for his deep understanding of our clients’ needs and interests and his outstanding ability to meet those needs and interests when representing the clients in trademark application procedures with the USPTO.” 2021 The Legal 500
“First class all round, Joel Schmidt and his team are responsive, thorough, pragmatic and commercial. Joel himself is a brilliant lawyer and strategist, who likes to be hands-on; working with him is not only super-productive and effective, but also fun.” 2021 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
“Joel Schmidt stands our for practical, straight forward advice often coming up with solutions that are unbeatable.” 2020 The Legal 500.
“Joel Karni Schmidt is a most experienced lawyer, very reasonable and pleasant to work with, His advice is much appreciated.” 2020 The Legal 500.
“Joel Karni Schmidt – a creative thinker and miracle worker when it comes to helping clients avoid costly litigation while still coming out on top of disputes.” 2020 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
"[R]ecommended is Joel Karni Schmidt, who is an 'outstanding lawyer', 'always available' and 'very friendly and attentive'." 2019 The Legal 500.
"Deft all-round strategist and resolver of difficult disputes Joel Schmidt is 'very hands on, responsive, pragmatic and cost effective' and unanimously considered a 'delight to deal with'." 2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
"Fellow prosecution and counselling specialist Joel Karni Schmidt is one of the brightest and most experienced trademark attorneys around and is known for his pragmatic advice, robust negotiation skills and commercial acumen. One peer reports, 'He is a really thoughtful professional and has a knack for choosing battles wisely and steering clients away from unnecessary confrontations'." 2018 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
IP Stars (“Trademark Star” and “Copyright Star”- Managing IP 2021 to present)
Who’s Who Legal, IP – Trademarks (Law Business Research Ltd.) (2020 to present)
Named in WTR 1000 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals for Prosecution and Strategy (2018 to present); Gold Band New York and Silver Band Nationally for Prosecution and Strategy (2020 to present); Global Leaders--the world’s most prominent trademark practitioners (2021)
Legal 500 – named “Leading Lawyer – Trademarks: Non-Contentious” (2023)
Named in New York Super Lawyers (2019 – present)
Community & Professional Activities
International Trademark Association – Brands and Innovation Committee, Content Subcommittee - Member (2020-present)
International Trademark Association - Internet Committee, Future of IP on the Internet Subcommittee - Member (2018-2019)
The Copyright Society of the USA – Member (2000-present)
New York Intellectual Property Law Association - Trademark Law Committee - Member (2013-2020)
New York Intellectual Property Law Association - Copyright Law Committee - Chair (2011-2013), Member (2013-2020)
International Trademark Association - Internet Committee, IANA Transition Subcommittee - Member (2016-2017)
International Trademark Association - Emerging Issues Committee, Issues Identification Subcommittee - Member (2012-2016)
American Intellectual Property Law Association - Special Committee on Israel - Co-Chair (2011-2012)
New York City Bar - Copyright & Literary Property Committee - Member (2008-2010)
New York Intellectual Property Law Association - Privacy Law Committee - Member (2008-2011)
International Trademark Association - Legislation & Regulation Committee, Middle East, Africa & South Asia Subcommittee - Member (2005-2007)
Fordham Fashion Institute Clinic, Volunteer (2012-present)
Simon Wiesenthal Center, International Leadership Council (2016)
Represented the New York City Bar Association at the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) Third International Colloquium on Secured Transactions in Vienna, Austria (March 2010)
Cardozo/BMI Entertainment and Communications Law Moot Court Competition, Judge (2003-2005)
U.S. International Film and Video Festival, Judge (2002)
- Was a law clerk at the Supreme Court of Israel.
- He represents and counsels an array of multi-national companies, start-ups, disruptors, and non-profit organizations in a wide range of industries with respect to trademark clearance, protection and enforcement in the U.S. and internationally, and copyright matters.
- Clients include J. Crew, Madewell, Warby Parker, FullBeauty Brands, Nasty Pig, Thompson Hotels LLC (owned by Hyatt Hotels Corporation), Sixty Hotels, Lark Hotels, Central European Media Enterprises, Mondi Worldwide, Novomatic, Epic Games, SSP America, EnergyFruits, Fragomen Worldwide, PrimeClerk.com (web-based solution to bankruptcy administration), World Wild Fund for Nature (WWF), Wolfgang’s Steakhouse, Share a Splash Wine Co. (CANNONBALL), The Forward newspaper, the Me Too. Movement, BlackStar Film Festival, Charity Navigator, and the Israeli “Red Cross” (Magen David Adom).
- Joel has written and spoken on emerging IP issues, such as IP issues relating to the use of social media, hashtags and emojis, and blogs.
- He is an active member of the International Trademark Association’s Brands and Innovation Committee, and previously served on its Internet Committee.
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP - Associate (1998-2000)
The Supreme Court of Israel, Justice Dorit Beinisch - Law Clerk (1996 - 1998)
U.S. Attorney's Office (E.D.N.Y.) - Intern (1994)
- Hospitality Industry Insight: Is Your Hotel or Restaurant’s Exterior Design Protectable Against Imitation or Unauthorized Use?09.19.2023
- Three Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman Attorneys are Attending the Copyright Society’s 2023 Copyright + Technology Conference09.14.2023
- Who’s Who Legal Names Ten Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman Attorneys as 2023 Global Leaders in Copyright and Trademark and Four as Thought LeadersSeptember 2023
- Managing Intellectual Property Once Again Recognizes Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman’s Copyright Practice in its 2023 IP Stars Rankings08.14.2023
- Managing Intellectual Property Once Again Recognizes Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman’s Trademark Practice in its 2023 IP Stars Rankings06.26.2023
- The Legal 500 U.S. 2023 Guide Ranks Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman Among Top Law Firms in the U.S. in Copyright and Trademarks06.07.2023
- Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman Named 2023 Firm of the Year for Trademark Disputes (Northeast) by Managing IP05.02.2023
- Mary Kevlin, Joel Karni Schmidt, Adam Siegartel, Dasha Chestukhin, and Allison Furnari Attended the International Trademark Association (INTA) Leadership Meeting11.22.2022
- Legal 500 United States 2022 edition named CLL nationally in Tier 1 for Copyright Law, in Tier 2 for Trademark Litigation, and in Tier 2 for Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing06.01.2022
- CLL Is Highly Recommended Nationally and in New York in the 2021 and 2022 Editions of "IP Stars" Published by Managing IP03.01.2022
- Fashion Industry Insight – A Not-So-Sweet Reminder of the Importance of Trademark Clearance Searches03.02.2021
- Four CLL Attorneys are Attending the 2020 International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting & Leadership Meeting11.16.2020
- Legal 500 United States 2015 again recommends CLL as a National Top Tier Firm in the field of Copyright Law06.04.2015
- Court Denies Puck's Request for Preliminary Injunction Related to Wolfgang's Steakhouse by Wolfgang Zwiener in Beverly Hills06.23.2008
- Kieran Doyle is Co-chairing and Joel Karni Schmidt Will Speak at the PLI Advanced Trademark Law All-day Program03.09.2022
- Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman, P.C., 114 West 47th Street, NY, NY 10036, 02.08.2018
- William Borchard, Mary Donovan and Joel Karni Schmidt will attend the International Trademark Association (INTA) Leadership MeetingWashington Marriott Marquis, 901 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20001, November 7-10, 2017
- PLI New York Center, 05.11.2017
- The Broadmoor Hotel, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 04.20.2017
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 11.06.2016
- PLI's Hot Topics in Advertising Law 2016, 06.09.2016
- Table Topic Moderator, Trademarking Hashtags and Emojis: An International PerspectiveInternational Trademark Association Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, 05.24.2016
- NYIPLA Program, 11.04.2015
- Table Topic Moderator, The Relationship Between Trademark Prosecution and Trademark LitigationInternational Trademark Association Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, 05.03.2015
- Table Topic Moderator, The Extraterritorial Application of U.S. Trademark LawInternational Trademark Association Annual Meeting, Hong Kong, SAR China, 05.14.2014
- Cardozo's Semi-Annual Fashion Law Symposium: This Season in Fashion Law: Tackling Challenges in Sourcing & Technology, 11.19.2013
- Christian Louboutin, S.A. v. Yves St. Laurent, Inc.New York State Bar Association CLE Program On the Heels of the Week: The Status of Fashion Protection, 03.2012
- The State of Social MediaCLL Program Selected Issues for the Restaurant, Food & Hospitality Industries, 11.17.2011
- The State of Social MediaCLL Program: Selected Issues for the Restaurant, Food & Hospitality Industries, 11.17.2011
- Negotiating a License Agreement: A Simulated Negotiation and Analysis of Real World Licensing Issues and StrategiesPractising Law Institute CLE Program Understanding the Intellectual Property License, 10.21.2011
- Fashion Company Blogs: A Legal Issues RoadmapCLL Fashion Seminar: Hot Topics - Selected Issues for the Fashion Industry, 06.15.2011
- Protecting Your Company's Names, Marks and ReputationCLL Restaurant, Food & Hospitality Industry Seminar: Eating, Sleeping & Tweeting, 11.16.2010
- Protecting Trademarks on the Internet: Current Legal Issues and Strategies in the Wake of Tiffany v. eBayUnited States Patent and Trademark Office Global Intellectual Property Academy Seminar and Study Tour for Latin American Judges Meeting with the New York State Bar Association, 11.05.2010
- Negotiating a License Agreement: A Simulated Negotiation and Analysis of Real World Licensing Issues and StrategiesPractising Law Institute CLE Program: Understanding the Intellectual Property License, 10.22.2010
- Social Networking Sites and Virtual Worlds: Trademark Issues and OpportunitiesNew York Intellectual Property Association CLE Program: Hot Topics in Trademark Law, 07.15.2010
- Recent Fashion Industry CasesCLL Fashion Seminar: Fashion 2.0: Social Media, Virtual Worlds and the Real World Too, 06.16.2010
- What's Cooking? Recent Suits and SettlementsCLL Restaurant, Food & Hospitality Industry Seminar: Eat. Drink. Sleep. Succeed.: Stategies for Success in Good Times and Bad, 11.18.2009
- Fashion Litigation Review: R is for Recession (and Recovery)CLL Fashion Seminar, 06.23.2009
- The 2006 Stop Counterfeiting in Manufactured Goods ActCLL Fashion Seminar, 2006
- Client Alert - The Supreme Court Decides That Some Trademark Office Tribunal Decisions Are Binding In Later Court Cases04.01.2015
- On My Mind Blog, 01.27.2022
- On My Mind Blog, 06.30.2015
- Apparel, Footwear & Accessories
- Broadcasting, Entertainment & Music
- Computer, Internet & Telecommunications
- Consumer Goods & Services
- Finance, Banking & Insurance
- Games & Toys
- Hospitality, Restaurant & Food
- Non-profits, Religious Organizations & Museums
- Pharmaceuticals, Health & Wellness
- Professional Services Firms
- Publishing & Printing
- Sports & Recreation
- The Supreme Court of Israel, Justice Dorit Beinisch - Law Clerk (1996 - 1998)
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (JD 1996)
The London School of Economics and Political Science (MSc (Econs) 1995)
University of Colorado at Boulder (BA 1991)
- New York
- New Jersey
- United States District Court - Southern District and Eastern District of New York
- Hebrew (fluent)
- Spanish (proficient)