Client Alert: Official U.S. Trademark Fee Increases
Effective January 2, 2021, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office is increasing its official trademark fees
The changes affecting most trademark clients are:
- Standard Trademark Application (filed electronically): Increasing from $275 per class to $350 per class.
- 5th or 10th year Declaration of Use: Increasing from $125 per class to $225 per class.
- New Fee for Making Deletions after submitting a Declaration of Use: $250 per class.
- New Fee for a Letter of Protest: $50 per application.
- Opposition or Cancellation: Increase from $400 per class to $600 per class.
- Requests for Extension of Time to Oppose:
- Initial 30-day Request: No official fee.
- Initial 90-day Request: Increase from $100 per application to $200 per application.
- Final 60-day Request: Increase from $200 per application to $400 per application.
Click here for a more complete summary of all the trademark fee increases.
If you wish to avoid these official fee increases,
- File new applications now.
- File Declarations of Use now if the deadlines are in the next 12 months.
- Delete any goods or services before filing a Declaration of Use.
These fee changes are in addition to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office official patent fee increases of approximately 5 percent, which went into effect on October 2, 2020.
Click here for a summary of the patent fee increases.
For further information please contact your CLL attorney.