From its inception over 50 years ago as a commercial law firm, Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman has represented closely-held businesses and business executives, handling their legal and business issues. Our firm represents both employers and employees in negotiating executive employment contracts, and in terminations. We also advise clients with respect to the rights of at will employees, harassment and discrimination claims, termination rights, employee reviews, and workplace misconduct.
Our firm advises and drafts policies regarding employee privacy, Internet and e-mail usage, and questions that arise when a company regulates an employee’s activities at work.
Our attorneys prepare and negotiate restrictive covenants, non-disclosure agreements and assignments of intellectual property rights. We advise employers and employees regarding employer-imposed restrictions on future employment and competition and what information the employer can rightfully protect. And we advise employers regarding the need for confidentiality and assignment agreements in order to protect their trade secrets and their rights to intellectual property created by employees during the course of employment.
Our firm prepares employment handbooks, stock option and similar employee bonus plans.
We also advise with respect to the tax effects of employment arrangements and benefit plans.
Our litigation department litigates employment cases on behalf of employees and employers. From breach of employment contracts to enforcement of restrictive covenants to wrongful terminations and discrimination cases, our firm has the ability and experience to assist all parties with their employment law issues.
Preparation, Negotiation and Review of:
- Employment contracts
- Independent contractor agreements
- Commission salesperson agreements
- Severance agreements
- Non-compete agreements
- Non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements
- Assignments of intellectual property rights
- Employee handbooks
- Stock option and other stock rights plans
- Employee conduct policies, including privacy, Internet, phone usage policies
- Discrimination policies and procedures
Providing advice regarding:
- Wage and hour laws
- Employee benefit plans and legal requirements
- Employee reviews
- Exit interviews
- Taxation of employees and employee benefits
- Breach of employment contracts
- Wrongful termination
- Enforcement/defense of restrictive covenant claims
- Employment discrimination claims
- Harassment claims
- Wage and hour claims
- Breach of commission sales agreements