Maryann's practice focuses on domestic and international trademark and copyright matters, including trademark prosecution, contested proceedings, trademark and copyright litigation, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board practice, and domain name disputes, and counseling of corporate and individual clients. She has represented clients in many industries, including the sports and entertainment, banking and financial, publishing and printing, apparel and household products industries.
“The mind is everything. What you think, you become.” — Buddha
Honors & Recognitions
"Mary Donovan, Christopher Jensen and Maryann Licciardi bring impressive experience to bear in portfolio management, litigation and TTAB proceedings respectively." 2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Maryann Licciardi is "applauded for 'her proficiency in dispute resolution. She vigorously defends her clients’ interests and is able to push for sophisticated terms of co-existence.' She rolls up her sleeves in both contentious and non-contentious matters." 2018 WTR 1000 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals
- Named in New York Metro "Super Lawyers" as a Rising Star in Intellectual Property (2016 to present)
- Named in New York regional edition of Best Lawyers (2020)
Community & Professional Activities
- American Bar Association – Member (2004 to present)
- New York State Bar Association – Member (2004 to present)
- New York County Lawyers Association – Member (2004 to 2018)
- Intellectual Property Law Vice-Chair, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (2010-2011)
- Copyright Society of the USA – Member (2016 to present)
- Focuses on domestic and international trademark and copyright matters, including trademark prosecution, contested proceedings, trademark and copyright litigation, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board practice, and domain name disputes, and counseling of corporate and individual clients.
- Current clients include Major League Baseball Properties, Inc., Barclays, J. Crew, MSCI, and Jane Street (global proprietary trading firm) ) and Benihana of Tokyo, LLC.
- Recently, she worked on the successful cancellation of the registration of MAJOR LEAGUE ZOMBIE HUNTER & Design.
U.S. Department of Justice, International Trade Field Office, Commercial Litigation Branch - Law Clerk
- Frequent Guest Lecturer, New York University School of Continuing and Professional Studies, Dealing with Domain Names (2007-2009)
- Contribution to Copyright Annual Review (2005-2012)
- Client Alert - Domain Name Developments - .ASIA, MOBI and .EU Updates. Published in Westlaw's E-Commerce Law Report, July 2007, 9 No. 7 E-Commerce L. Report 11.
Major League Baseball Properties, Inc. v. Christopher Webb (T.T.A.B. 2018) (represented Major League Baseball Properties, Inc. in successful cancellation proceeding against registration for MAJOR LEAGUE ZOMBIE HUNTER and Design, where Board found that continued registration of registrant’s mark would result in a likelihood of confusion among consumers)
Office of the Commissioner of Baseball v. S9 Sports, LLC (T.T.A.B. 2016) (represented Office of the Commissioner of Baseball in successful opposition against application to register HIGH SCHOOL WORLD SERIES, where Board found registration of applicant’s mark would result in likelihood of confusion with Office of the Commissioner of Baseball’s famous WORLD SERIES marks)
New York Yankees Partnership v. IET Products and Services, Inc., 2015 TTAB LEXIS 96 (T.T.A.B. 2015) (represented New York Yankees in successful opposition against applications to register a top hat design mark and THE HOUSE THAT JUICE BUILT word marks, where the Board found that the registration of applicant’s marks would result in a likelihood of dilution by blurring of the New York Yankees baseball club’s famous trademarks)
New York Yankees Partnership v. Evil Enterprises, Inc., 2013 TTAB LEXIS 72 (T.T.A.B. 2013) (represented New York Yankees in successful opposition against application to register BASEBALLS EVIL EMPIRE, where Board found the New York Yankees had established prior rights in the EVIL EMPIRE designation based on extensive use of term by the public, press, fans and media to refer to the New York Yankees baseball club, and that registration of applicant’s mark would result in a likelihood of confusion among consumers and false suggestion of a connection with the New York Yankees)
St. John's University School of Law (JD 2003, cum laude) (CALI Award for Excellence in Achievement in Contracts; Accepted to Law Review; Dean's List; Academic Scholarship)
Pace University (BBA 1999, magna cum laude), (Honors Program, Business Management Departmental Award, Dean's List, every semester, Beta Gamma Sigma, Academic Scholarships, Alpha Chi, National Honor Society)
- New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York