Mary concentrates on all facets of trademark, copyright and unfair competition law.
“I love to sing with the Oratorio Society in Carnegie Hall.”
Honors & Recognitions
“A go-to for TTAB proceedings – which are also a forte of the wider group – Mary Kevlin is hailed as a ‘business-savvy adviser and superb legal practitioner who understands every nuance of practice before the USPTO, as well as the commercial issues that in-house teams face’." 2021 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Refined strategist Mary Kevlin and Lawrence Greene "form a dynamic duo and are incredibly dedicated, dogged in the pursuit of client objectives, great at managing their staff and all-around beacons of excellence." 2018 WTR 1000 The World's Leading Trademark Professionals
- The Legal 500 - Intellectual Property - Trademarks, Litigation (2015)
- "Lawyer of the Year" for NYC in Trademark Law (2014) by Best Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America for Intellectual Property Litigation and Trademark Law ( 2005 to present), reprinted in New York magazine
- WTR 1000 World Leading Trademark Professionals, Individuals: Prosecution and Strategy (2014 to present)
- WTR 1000 World Leading Trademark Professionals, Individuals: Enforcement and Litigation (2014 to present)
- Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law in U.S. Trademark Law (Expert Guides 2013)
- New York "Super Lawyers" The Top Women in Intellectual Property (2014 to present)
- New York "Super Lawyers" in Intellectual Property Law (2006 - to present)
- An International Who's Who of Trademark Lawyers (Law Business Research Ltd. 2002 - to present)
- IP Stars (Managing Intellectual Property 2015 - to present)
Community & Professional Activities
- New York University Law School - Adjunct Professor in Trademarks (1993 - 2012)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association – Chair, Copyright Committee (2000 - 02)
- International Trademark Association – Various Committees - currently Enforcement Committee
- Brand Names Education Foundation – Co-Chair, Pattishall Medal for Teaching Excellence
- Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- American Bar Association -
Co-Chair, Section of Intellectual Property, Spring Conference (2016), Summer Conference (2015) and Spring Conference (2014); CLE Board (2013 - 2016); Vice Chair, CLE Teleconferencing Committee (2010 - 12); Chair, Franchising Committee (2008 - 09); Chair, Trademark Office Affairs (2007 - 08); Chair, Copyright Litigation Committee (2005 - 06); Chair, Copyright Internet Committee (2003 - 05); Chair, Copyright Division (1993 - 94 and 2002 - 03); Chair, Authors Committee (2000 - 02); Co-Chair, Section of Intellectual Property, Spring CLE Program (2000); Member of Council (1995 - 99);
- Handles a large volume of U.S. Trademark Office proceedings for Major League Baseball Properties and the 30 baseball clubs it represents. She also registers and maintains their trademarks in the U.S. for use on a wide variety of merchandise and services.
- Filed one of the first cases under the Anticyberpiracy Statute in the Southern District of New York, involving the <newyorkyankees.com> domain name
- Succeeded in having the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board find in 2017 that WORLD SERIES has a “very high level of fame” and in 2018 that MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL is “commercially strong.”
- Succeeded in cancelling a registration of MAJOR LEAGUE ZOMBIE HUNTER & Design, and in registering the configuration of the WORLD SERIES COMMISSIONER’S TROPHY.
- Supervised an international clearance and filing program for two new or expanded brands for the packaged candy client, Promotion in Motion, Inc. She also handles the international trademark portfolio of Ryder System, Inc.
- Co-author of a well-established and highly regarded casebook Trademark and Unfair Competition Law and of the “Trial Procedures” chapter in three editions of the American Bar Association’s publication Trademark Trial and Appeal Practice.
- Author of the New York State chapter of the International Trademark Association’s State Trademark and Unfair Competition Law
Adjunct Professor at New York University Law School (1993 to 2012).
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, Hon. Dolores Sloviter, Law Clerk (1982 - 83)
- Deborah Squiers, Lynn Fruchter, and Mary Kevlin Selected by Super Lawyers for the 2021 list of NY Metro Area Top Women Attorneys04.06.2021
- Legal 500 United States 2015 again recommends CLL as a National Top Tier Firm in the field of Copyright Law06.04.2015
- Trial Chapter in A Legal Strategist's Guide to Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Practice (ABA 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th eds., 2010, 2012, 2016 and 2020)
- Co-author Trademark and Unfair Competition Law -- Cases and Materials (Carolina Academic Press 6th ed. 2017) (Lexis/Nexis 5th ed. 2013) (Foundation Press 3rd and 4th eds., 2001 and 2007)
- Co-author Trademark and Unfair Competition Law- updated annually
- NY State Chapter in State Trademarks and Unfair Competition (INTA updated annually)
- Successful Trademark Opposition and Cancellation proceedings against numerous marks, including
- Chicago Cubs Baseball Club v. Huber, Opposition No. 91232736, 2019 TTAB LEXIS 161 (T.T.A.B. 2019) (CUBNOXIOUS)
- Major League Baseball Properties, Inc. v. Christopher Webb, Cancellation No. 92060903 (T.T.A.B. 2018). (MAJOR LEAGUE ZOMBIE HUNTER and Design).
- Office of the Commissioner of Baseball v. S9 Sports, LLC, Opposition No. 91200934 (T.T.A.B. 2016). (HIGH SCHOOL WORLD SERIES).
- Empire State Bldg. Co. v. Liang,Opposition No. 91204122 (T.T.A.B. 2016). .(NYC BEER and Design).
- New York Yankees Partnership v. IET Products and Services, Inc., 2015 TTAB LEXIS 96 (T.T.A.B. 2015). (a top hat design mark and THE HOUSE THAT JUICE BUILT).
- New York Yankees Partnership v. Evil Enterprises, In, 2013 TTAB LEXIS 72 (T.T.A.B. 2013). (BASEBALLS EVIL EMPIRE).
- Boston Red Sox Baseball Club v. Sherman, Opposition No.91172268 (September 9, 2008) (SEX ROD (Stylized))
- Killer Music, Inc.and BMG Songs, Inc., v. Killersound, Inc., Opposition No. 91152646 (T.T.A.B. 2005) (KILLER SOUND).
- BMG Special Products, Inc. v. Jagosz, Opposition No. 91124387 (T.T.A.B. 2003). (YOU DA BUDDHA)
- Filed one of the first cases under the Anticyberpiracy Statute in the Southern District of New York.
University of Pennsylvania Law School (JD 1982, magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Associate Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review)
Oxford University (MPhil 1973)
Smith College (BA 1970, with distinction; Phi Beta Kappa)
- New York
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York