Mary concentrates on all facets of trademark, copyright and unfair competition law.
“I love to sing with the Oratorio Society in Carnegie Hall.”
Honors & Recognitions
Refined strategist Mary Kevlin and Lawrence Greene "form a dynamic duo and are incredibly dedicated, dogged in the pursuit of client objectives, great at managing their staff and all-around beacons of excellence." 2018 WTR 1000 The World's Leading Trademark Professionals
- The Best Lawyers in America (2016 to present)
- The Legal 500 - Intellectual Property - Trademarks, Litigation (2015)
- "Lawyer of the Year" for NYC in Trademark Law (2014) by Best Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America in Intellectual Property Law (American Lawyer Media, Inc. 2004 - to present), reprinted in New York magazine
- WTR 1000 World Leading Trademark Professionals, Individuals: Prosecution and Strategy (2014 to present)
- WTR 1000 World Leading Trademark Professionals, Individuals: Enforcement and Litigation (2014 to present)
- Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law in U.S. Trademark Law (Expert Guides 2013)
- New York "Super Lawyers" The Top Women in Intellectual Property (2014 to present)
- New York "Super Lawyers" in Intellectual Property Law (2006 - to present)
- An International Who's Who of Trademark Lawyers (Law Business Research Ltd. 2002 - to present)
- IP Stars (Managing Intellectual Property 2015 - to present)
Community & Professional Activities
- New York University Law School - Adjunct Professor in Trademarks (1993 - 2012)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association – Chair, Copyright Committee (2000 - 02)
- International Trademark Association – Various Committees - currently Enforcement Committee
- Brand Names Education Foundation – Co-Chair, Pattishall Medal for Teaching Excellence
- Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- American Bar Association -
Co-Chair, Section of Intellectual Property, Spring Conference (2016), Summer Conference (2015) and Spring Conference (2014); CLE Board (2013 - 2016); Vice Chair, CLE Teleconferencing Committee (2010 - 12); Chair, Franchising Committee (2008 - 09); Chair, Trademark Office Affairs (2007 - 08); Chair, Copyright Litigation Committee (2005 - 06); Chair, Copyright Internet Committee (2003 - 05); Chair, Copyright Division (1993 - 94 and 2002 - 03); Chair, Authors Committee (2000 - 02); Co-Chair, Section of Intellectual Property, Spring CLE Program (2000); Member of Council (1995 - 99);
- Handles a large volume of U.S. Trademark Office proceedings for Major League Baseball Properties and the 30 baseball clubs it represents. She also registers and maintains their trademarks in the U.S. for use on a wide variety of merchandise and services.
- Filed one of the first cases under the Anticyberpiracy Statute in the Southern District of New York, involving the <newyorkyankees.com> domain name
- Succeeded in having the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board find in 2017 that WORLD SERIES has a “very high level of fame” and in 2018 that MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL is “commercially strong.”
- Succeeded in cancelling a registration of MAJOR LEAGUE ZOMBIE HUNTER & Design, and in registering the configuration of the WORLD SERIES COMMISSIONER’S TROPHY.
- Supervised an international clearance and filing program for two new or expanded brands for the packaged candy client, Promotion in Motion, Inc. She also handles the international profiles of Brinks Network, Inc. and Ryder System, Inc.
- Co-author of a well-established and highly regarded casebook Trademark and Unfair Competition Law and of the “Trial Procedures” chapter in three editions of the American Bar Association’s publication Trademark Trial and Appeal Practice.
- Author of the New York State chapter of the International Trademark Association’s State Trademark and Unfair Competition Law
Adjunct Professor at New York University Law School (1993 to 2012).
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, Hon. Dolores Sloviter, Law Clerk (1982 - 83)
- Legal 500 United States 2015 again recommends CLL as a National Top Tier Firm in the field of Copyright Law06.04.2015
- NY State Chapter in State Trademarks and Unfair Competition INTA updated annually
- Trial Chapter in A Legal Strategist's Guide to Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Practice (ABA 1st, 2nd and 3rd eds., 2010, 2012 and 2016)
- Trademark and Unfair Competition Law -- Cases and MaterialsCo-author (Carolina Academic Press 6th ed. 2017) (Lexis/Nexis 5th ed. 2013) (Foundation Press 3rd and 4th eds., 2001 and 2007)
- Parallel Imports -- Trademark and Copyright Considerations in Worldwide Imports and Exports: The United States02.01.1997
- What Every Lawyer Needs to Know About Copyright LawABA Journal, 08.1996
- Computer Cases - Bound for the Supreme Court?NYLJ , 07.31.1992
- Selected Annotated U.S. CasesCo-Author with D. Goldberg and others, Journal of the Copyright Society, 1985 -89
- Review of the 1985 Trademark Decisions of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit35 American University Law Review 1149, Spring, 1986
- The Law Clerk's Duty of ConfidentialityUniversity of Pennsylvania Law Review, May 1981
- Successful Trademark Opposition and Cancellation proceedings against numerous marks, including
- Chicago Cubs Baseball Club v. Huber, Opposition No. 91232736, 2019 TTAB LEXIS 161 (T.T.A.B. 2019) (CUBNOXIOUS)
- Major League Baseball Properties, Inc. v. Christopher Webb, Cancellation No. 92060903 (T.T.A.B. 2018). (MAJOR LEAGUE ZOMBIE HUNTER and Design).
- Office of the Commissioner of Baseball v. S9 Sports, LLC, Opposition No. 91200934 (T.T.A.B. 2016). (HIGH SCHOOL WORLD SERIES).
- Empire State Bldg. Co. v. Liang,Opposition No. 91204122 (T.T.A.B. 2016). .(NYC BEER and Design).
- New York Yankees Partnership v. IET Products and Services, Inc., 2015 TTAB LEXIS 96 (T.T.A.B. 2015). (a top hat design mark and THE HOUSE THAT JUICE BUILT).
- New York Yankees Partnership v. Evil Enterprises, In, 2013 TTAB LEXIS 72 (T.T.A.B. 2013). (BASEBALLS EVIL EMPIRE).
- Boston Red Sox Baseball Club v. Sherman, Opposition No.91172268 (September 9, 2008) (SEX ROD (Stylized))
- Killer Music, Inc.and BMG Songs, Inc., v. Killersound, Inc., Opposition No. 91152646 (T.T.A.B. 2005) (KILLER SOUND).
- BMG Special Products, Inc. v. Jagosz, Opposition No. 91124387 (T.T.A.B. 2003). (YOU DA BUDDHA)
- Filed one of the first cases under the Anticyberpiracy Statute in the Southern District of New York.
University of Pennsylvania Law School (JD 1982, magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Associate Editor, University of Pennsylvania Law Review)
Oxford University (MPhil 1973)
Smith College (BA 1970, with distinction; Phi Beta Kappa)
- New York
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York