Debbie concentrates her practice on intellectual property with particular emphasis on trademark enforcement and litigation and trademark counseling and prosecution (US and worldwide).
She counsels clients in the financial, entertainment, sports, beverage, food and restaurant industries, among others.
Honors & Recognitions
"Deborah Squiers excels at advising domestic and international clients on a broad range of complex trademark matters pertaining to litigation, enforcement and portfolio management." 2022 Who’s Who Legal: IP
"Deborah Squiers received 'enthusiastic commendations from peers and clients alike'; 'gets the highest rating we could give for an outside counsel...efficient and effective in managing our large trademark portfolio [and] also cost-conscious and often comes up with cost-saving strategies for our filings.'” 2023 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
Named as Notable Practitioner by Chambers USA 2022; Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman awarded distinction for Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets in New York
"Distinguished head of trademarks Deborah Squiers is 'supremely efficient and effective at managing large global portfolios' and 'brilliant at registering difficult marks.'” 2022 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
“Deborah Squiers is a top-notch trademark lawyer with vast knowledge of the field and insightful perspectives on issues as they arise.” The Legal 500
“An outstanding lawyer who gives wise, clear and practical counsel and provides great value for money.” 2021 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
"Reflecting on their experience with trademark and copyright ace Deborah Squiers, one source comments: 'She meets our needs at every step of our journey and has provided vital support as we have dramatically increased our revenue. She is highly responsive and thorough, but always works within our budget'.” 2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
"Thorough, inventive and reliable, Deborah Squiers always goes out of her way to provide top-notch service, with a sense of humour and an appreciation for business needs." "She has an up-to-the-minute understanding of all issues in this area of the law and gives actionable and reasoned advice." 2018 WTR 1000 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals
Who’s Who Legal, IP – Trademarks (Law Business Research Ltd.) (2020 to present)
- WTR 1000 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals, Prosecution and Strategy (2018 to present)
Expert Guides (Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC) for Trademarks and Women in Business Law (2018 to present)
- IP Stars (“Trademark Star” - Managing IP 2016 to present)
- The Legal 500 United States for Trademarks (2016)
- The Legal 500 -Intellectual Property - Trademarks, non-contentious
- New York “Super Lawyers” Top Women Lawyers for Intellectual Property
- New York “Super Lawyers” in Intellectual Property
Community & Professional Activities
- Practising Law Institute Fundamentals of Trademark Law in the Global Marketplace (Chair 2017-present; Speaker 2015-present) Link to PLI profile.
International Trademark Association, ADR Committee (Member 2018)
Fordham Fashion Law Clinic, Volunteer (2016-present)
Featured Volunteer, International Trademark Association Bulletin, August 1, 2012, Vol. 67 No. 14
- International Trademark Association, Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition Committee (Member 1998-present; Chair 2011-12; Vice-Chair, 2010-11)
Head of the Trademark Group
Debbie has tried several cases in just the last few years before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and argued before the Federal Circuit. By way of example, these include a nearly decade long concurrent use proceeding involving the mark DELMONICO’S, Southwestern Management, Inc. v. Emeril’s Food of Love Productions, LLC (counsel to Emeril’s/Emeril Lagasse; argued and won on appeal before Federal Circuit).
Some notable clients include the worldwide trademark work for S&P Global Inc. (S&P and Standard & Poor’s), the worldwide contested trademark proceedings for Sony Pictures / Columbia Pictures, the Estate of George Carlin, Chef Emeril Lagasse and his restaurants, Trebco (WUBBANUB pacifiers), The PALM restaurant group, Alicart Restaurant Group (CARMINE’S and VIRGIL’S BBQ restaurants), the Wetson Restaurant Group (DALLAS BBQ and TONY’S DI NAPOLI restaurants), Destileria Serralles (DON Q rum), National Audubon Society, The New York Racing Association, Glanbia Nutritionals/The Isopure Company (ISOPURE and NATURE’S BEST nutritional supplements).
Cases have included protection of the marks include MASERATI and Trident Designs, DELMONICO, DON Q Rum, NATURE’S BEST and ISOPURE.
She has been involved with several litigations about concurrent use claims relating to restaurants in different geographic locations, including a significant victory before the TTAB (affirmed by the Court of Appeals for the federal Circuit) representing Chef Emeril Lagasse in a concurrent use dispute over the DELMONICO restaurant mark.
She is the current Chair of the Practicing Law Institute’s Basic Trademark Law program. Link to PLI profile.
New York Law Journal, Newspaper Reporter (1988-91)
- Who’s Who Legal Names Ten Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman Attorneys as 2023 Global Leaders in Copyright and Trademark and Four as Thought LeadersSeptember 2023
- Managing Intellectual Property Once Again Recognizes Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman’s Trademark Practice in its 2023 IP Stars Rankings06.26.2023
- The Legal 500 U.S. 2023 Guide Ranks Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman Among Top Law Firms in the U.S. in Copyright and Trademarks06.07.2023
- Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman Named 2023 Firm of the Year for Trademark Disputes (Northeast) by Managing IP05.02.2023
- Legal 500 United States 2022 edition named CLL nationally in Tier 1 for Copyright Law, in Tier 2 for Trademark Litigation, and in Tier 2 for Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing06.01.2022
- CLL Is Highly Recommended Nationally and in New York in the 2021 and 2022 Editions of "IP Stars" Published by Managing IP03.01.2022
- Deborah Squiers, Lynn Fruchter, and Mary Kevlin Selected by Super Lawyers for the 2021 list of NY Metro Area Top Women Attorneys04.06.2021
- Beverage Law Insight - A Wine Trademark Registration Failed Where a Certificate of Label Approval Was Not Obtained02.07.2019
- Deborah K. Squiers will Chair PLI’s CLE Program: Fundamentals of Trademark Law in the Global Marketplace 2023.Practising Law Institute Conference Center, 1177 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036, 06.23.2023
- Deborah Squiers will chair and Jeffrey Chery will speak at the PLI Fundamentals of Trademark Law in the Global Marketplace Seminar 2022.06.24.2022
- Deborah Squiers will chair and she and Robert English will speak at PLI's 2021 Fundamentals of Trademark Law in Global Marketplace program06.25.2021
- Deborah Squiers chaired and she and Robert English spoke at PLI's 2020 Fundamentals of Trademark Law in Global Marketplace programPLI New York Center, 06.26.2020
- Debbie chaired and was a featured speaker on TTAB practice at the PLI Practicing Law Institute’s annual seminar, Fundamentals of Trademarks in the Global Marketplace 2019, in New York City.
- Deborah Squiers Moderated an INTA Roundtable Titled “Canadian Update on Trademark Law for U.S. Practitioners”Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman, P.C., 114 West 47th Street, NY, NY 10036, 09.21.2018
- Deborah Squiers chaired and she and Robert English spoke at PLI's Fundamentals of Trademark Law in Global Marketplace programPLI New York Center, 06.29.2018
- Fundamentals of Trademark Law in the Global Marketplace 2014 - 2017PLI Practising Law Institute July 2014-17
- INTA Roundtable "Dissecting the U.S. Trademark Application"INTA Roundtable Program, 2014
- Cardozo's Semi-annual Fashion Law SymposiumModerator, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2013
- CLL Restaurant, Food & Hospitality SeminarSpeaker, 2008
- Bridging the Gap: Intellectual PropertyChair and Moderator, New York State Bar Association, 2005
- U.S. Trademark Clearance, Registration and TTAB ProceedingsGuest Lecturer, St. John's University School of Law, 2004
- U.S. Trademark ProsecutionChair, International Trademark Association Roundtable Program, 2003
- IP Litigator, January / February 2022 edition
- Understanding Basic Trademark LawPractising Law Institute, 2004
- Developments in Domain Name Disputes: The Federal Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act and ICANN Domain Name Dispute Resolution PolicyPractising Law Institute Advanced Seminar on Trademark Law, 2000
- On My Mind Blog, 02.04.2020
- On My Mind Blog, 2015
Fordham University School of Law (JD 1994)
St. Lawrence University (BA 1984)
- New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York