Debbie concentrates her practice on intellectual property with particular emphasis on trademark enforcement and litigation and trademark counseling and prosecution (US and worldwide).
She counsels clients in the financial, entertainment, sports, beverage, food and restaurant industries, among others.
Honors & Recognitions
"Reflecting on their experience with trademark and copyright ace Deborah Squiers, one source comments: 'She meets our needs at every step of our journey and has provided vital support as we have dramatically increased our revenue. She is highly responsive and thorough, but always works within our budget'.” 2019 WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals
"Thorough, inventive and reliable, Deborah Squiers always goes out of her way to provide top-notch service, with a sense of humour and an appreciation for business needs." "She has an up-to-the-minute understanding of all issues in this area of the law and gives actionable and reasoned advice." 2018 WTR 1000 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals
- WTR 1000 World Leading Trademark Professionals, Prosecution and Strategy (2018 to present)
- IP Stars, Managing Intellectual Property magazine 2016-18
- The Legal 500 United States for Trademarks (2016)
- Euromoney’s ExpertGuides (2018)
- The Legal 500 -Intellectual Property - Trademarks, non-contentious
- New York “Super Lawyers” Top Women Lawyers for Intellectual Property
- New York “Super Lawyers” in Intellectual Property
- Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law (Trademarks)
Community & Professional Activities
International Trademark Association, ADR Committee (Member 2018)
Practising Law Institute Fundamentals of Trademark Law in the Global Marketplace (Chair 2017-present; Speaker 2015-present)
Fordham Fashion Law Clinic, Volunteer (2016-present)
Featured Volunteer, International Trademark Association Bulletin, August 1, 2012, Vol. 67 No. 14
- International Trademark Association, Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition Committee (Member 1998-present; Chair 2011-12; Vice-Chair, 2010-11)
Head of the Trademark Group
Debbie has tried several cases in just the last few years before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and argued before the Federal Circuit. By way of example, these include a combined opposition proceeding in 2019, Kate Spade LLC v. Thatch LLC & The Spades Trademark Company, LLC (counsel to defendants; decision pending), and a nearly decade long concurrent use proceeding involving the mark DELMONICO’S, Southwestern Management, Inc. v. Emeril’s Food of Love Productions, LLC (counsel to Emeril’s/Emeril Lagasse; argued and won on appeal before Federal Circuit).
Some notable clients include EMERIL’S restaurants, The PALM restaurant group, Alicart Restaurant Group (CARMINE’S and VIRGIL’S BBQ restaurants), the Wetson Restaurant Group (DALLAS BBQ and TONY’S DI NAPOLI restaurants), Destileria Serralles (DON Q rum), National Audubon Society, The New York Racing Association, Glanbia Nutritionals/The Isopure Company (ISOPURE and NATURE’S BEST nutritional supplements).
Cases have included protection of the marks include MASERATI and Trident Designs, DELMONICO, DON Q Rum, NATURE’S BEST and ISOPURE.
She has been involved with several litigations about concurrent use claims relating to restaurants in different geographic locations, including a significant victory before the TTAB (affirmed by the Court of Appeals for the federal Circuit) representing Chef Emeril Lagasse in a concurrent use dispute over the DELMONICO restaurant mark.
During the past year, she took over from Lynn S. Fruchter as the Chair of the Practicing Law Institute’s Basic Trademark Law
New York Law Journal, Newspaper Reporter (1988-91)
- Beverage Law Insight - A Wine Trademark Registration Failed Where a Certificate of Label Approval Was Not Obtained02.07.2019
- Deborah Squiers chaired and she and Robert English spoke at PLI's 2020 Fundamentals of Trademark Law in Global Marketplace programPLI New York Center, 06.26.2020
- Debbie chaired and was a featured speaker on TTAB practice at the PLI Practicing Law Institute’s annual seminar, Fundamentals of Trademarks in the Global Marketplace 2019, in New York City.
- Deborah Squiers Moderated an INTA Roundtable Titled “Canadian Update on Trademark Law for U.S. Practitioners”Cowan, Liebowitz & Latman, P.C., 114 West 47th Street, NY, NY 10036, 09.21.2018
- Deborah Squiers chaired and she and Robert English spoke at PLI's Fundamentals of Trademark Law in Global Marketplace programPLI New York Center, 06.29.2018
- Fundamentals of Trademark Law in the Global Marketplace 2014 - 2017PLI Practising Law Institute July 2014-17
- INTA Roundtable "Dissecting the U.S. Trademark Application"INTA Roundtable Program, 2014
- Cardozo's Semi-annual Fashion Law SymposiumModerator, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2013
- CLL Restaurant, Food & Hospitality SeminarSpeaker, 2008
- Bridging the Gap: Intellectual PropertyChair and Moderator, New York State Bar Association, 2005
- U.S. Trademark Clearance, Registration and TTAB ProceedingsGuest Lecturer, St. John's University School of Law, 2004
- U.S. Trademark ProsecutionChair, International Trademark Association Roundtable Program, 2003
- Understanding Basic Trademark LawPractising Law Institute, 2004
- Developments in Domain Name Disputes: The Federal Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act and ICANN Domain Name Dispute Resolution PolicyPractising Law Institute Advanced Seminar on Trademark Law, 2000
- On My Mind Blog, 02.04.2020
- On My Mind Blog, 2015
Fordham University School of Law (JD 1994)
St. Lawrence University (BA 1984)
- New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York